The NIKE Chairman, CEO and President pens a message of unity
- “Nike believes in a world where everyone celebrates the power of diversity.”- Parker starts with the concept of individuality and how an eclectic group of people with a manifold of perspectives creates a strong community.
- “This is a policy we don’t support.”- A very straight forward line in NIKE’s stance on the ban; Parker brings to light that the ban creates a profound impact on the lives of the Americans, affecting members of families, friends and the entire community.
- “Today. I’m thinking of everyone who is impacted like Sir MO Farah.”- He writes about the personal impact it has had on his life by illustrating the case of Olympic Gold Medalist, Sir MO Farah. The Somalian-born athlete is currently in a training camp in Ethiopia, unsure about whether he would be granted entry into the USA where he resides with his wife and children.
- “Nike stands together against bigotry and any form of discrimination.”- Given that Nike is such a large company, their stance against the blatant discrimination of any demographic provides insight that there are like minds in America who believe in equality for all people.
- “We’ve learned that on the field of play where fairness and mutual respect are the rule, not the exception.”- Parker relates the discipline and values of the playing field to everyday life, where he instills the idea that respecting one another is not noteworthy but exceptional.